Beagles love food and therefore beagle training treats work wonders during your beagle training. Today you will learn how to give treats to your beagle for the best training results as well as tips to keep your beagle healthy and fit.
How To Give Beagle Training Treats
In this video international dog trainer expert Emily Larlham shows us three ways of delivering treats during the training to maximize the reinforcing effect we are after.
Training Treats FAQs
Emily answers in this video some of the most frequently asked questions about treats when training your dog. She actually shows us exactly how she prepares her “unpredictable treats”.
More Treats Tips
Beagles love food and they also have a tendency to get overweight, which can cause all sorts of health problems. Here are some extra tips for your beagle training treats:
- Tip 1 – Subtract the treats from your beagle’s meals. It should not be the treats plus the meals. It should be the meals minus the treats.
- Tip 2 – Do your training before your beagle’s meals. If your beagle is not hungry, it can get more difficult.
- Tip 3 – You don’t need to buy food or treats. You can simply cut your beagle’s favorite food into very small pieces and use that as treats. That way you know exactly what you are feeding your dog.
- Tip 4 – The more complex the behavior you want to train or change, the better the treat should be. In very difficult cases, choose really your beagle’s favorite food as treats.
- Tip 5 – Don’t feed your beagle treats just because. Dogs are used to working for their food so make your beagle do some practice and then reward them with a treat.
What is your beagle’s favorite treat? Share with us in the comments below.
For more information about beagle treats and food see the resource box below.