Basic beagle puppy training should start as soon as you bring your puppy home, which cannot be sooner than the age of 8 to 10 weeks. (For more information about “beagle proofing” your home before bringing your beagle, see the resource box at the bottom of the article).
In this article you will get the big picture and the essential components of proper beagle puppy training and the resource box at the bottom of the article will provide all the detailed information you may need about each one of those components.
Basic Beagle Puppy Training – Beagle Characteristics (video)
In this introductory video expert trainer Melany McRoy tells us about the main beagle characteristics that will influence the training of your puppy.
As promised in the first video, here you can learn how to teach your beagle to pay attention and recognize their name.
Essential Components of Your Beagle Puppy Training
These are the main building blocks of solid basic beagle puppy training:
- Begin by allowing your puppy to get used to their new environment and the people in your household. Wait to take your new beagle puppy outdoors until they have all their puppy shots.
- This is also a good time to start with your daily grooming routine so that your puppy gets used to it as soon as possible. (For everything about beagle grooming, check the resource box at the bottom of this article).
- Once your puppy is old enough, start with basic house training. This is a time when you will need to be home most of the time.
- Crate Training – You may want to start crate training your beagle puppy as soon as possible.
- Basic training and leash training – Beagle puppy training should move into the obedience phase between the age of 3 and 6 months with focus on basic commands like lying down, sitting, staying, focusing on you, coming when called, waiting inside doors and not pulling on the leash.
Don’t worry. We have you covered. For detailed information about each one of these steps (from beagle potty training, house training to leash training), check out the resource box below.
To your beagle puppy training success and remember to have fun in the process!
PS. Don’t forget to leave us your comments. Tell us about the fun and maybe not so much fun experience of training your beagle puppy.