Help! My Beagle Has Eaten Chocolate

Home  ›  Beagle Health  ›  Help! My Beagle Has Eaten Chocolate
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
or copy the link

My Beagle Has eaten ChocolateChocolate contains a substance from the caffeine family called methyl xanthine that is poisonous to dogs. If your beagle has eaten chocolate here is what to do:

  • Have the phone number of your local vet, the Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 or Pet Poison Helpline 1-855-213-6680 handy.
  • Check out the following to be able to provide answers to their questions:

How much chocolate

What type of chocolate (check the package)

When or how long ago

Symptoms

Additionally, you should also be able to tell them your beagle’s weight and age

Note the following: hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, accelerated heart rate, excessive thirst, and seizures.

React Fast If Your Beagle Has Eaten Chocolate

Call for help to determine if the kind of chocolate and the amount requires a visit to the emergency room. Don’t wait until your beagle shows symptoms to consult with a professional. If you consult early before the poison has affected your beagle, you have much better chances.

The Daily Vet by PetMD makes a very important point: not all chocolate acts in the same way.

Most pet owners are aware that chocolate is poisonous, but keep in mind that it’s the amount and type of chocolate that makes it poisonous. While the occasional chocolate chip in one cookie isn’t an issue, certain types of chocolate are very toxic to dogs.

In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the greater the danger. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem.

For example, a 50-pound dog can be sickened by ingesting only one ounce of Baker’s chocolate! On the other hand, it may take up to eight ounces (half a pound) of milk chocolate to cause poisoning in that same sized dog. For white chocolate, it would take over 100 pounds to cause chocolate poisoning in a 50-pound dog; that said, he’d also get really sick from all that fat and sugar! Read the rest of the article here.

 

According to the advice you get on the phone from a qualified expert, you might be asked to induce vomiting or to give your beagle activated charcoal to prevent the absorption of the poisonous substance (methyl xanthine). This will depend on whether your beagle has eaten chocolate in an amount that can put them in danger as well as whether the poison has already affected them. In very severe cases they will need an emergency visit to the hospital, IV fluids and heart medication. It really pays to prevent this by keeping your chocolate away from your beagle!

Has this ever happened to you? Do you have any experience to share with this beagle community? Leave your comments below.

Comments are closed